14/02/2010

Dance! Revolt! Disorder!

After working with Niek a couple of times on some posters for great shows, I wanted to know a little more behind the scenes info. Here Niek talks about the origins of the name, The 'Fall Of Efrafa' and gives advice to willing first time promoters.

---


Where do you go to find poster artists?


Well, I use Myspace a lot to find new artists which I like and maybe work with in the future. Sometimes I see a cool poster and ask the promoter who did the artwork. Or mostly I find them myself. It's all about being lucky I guess?



What do you think makes a good poster?

In my opinion, from the perspective of a show promoter, I'd say a nice looking poster contributes to a good show. I experienced that having a nice looking poster makes people more curious about the bands that will play on that evening. Maybe it's hypocritical, I don't know, but maybe it gives bands and kids a decent view on how involved you are with doing shows if you put effort on every little thing.

For
me a good poster needs to have good bands on the bill and it has to look attractive. The artwork also has to be compatible to the kind of bands playing, I think.

© Ward Zwart

If you have any, who are some of your favourite illustrators or any favourite CD covers, T shirts etc?

Well, I'm have little knowledge about illustrators. My first thought will be Alex Bradshaw from the band "Fall of Efrafa". If I'm not mistaken, he is the one who did the artwork for the band. I have all their vinyls and they're masterpieces one by one. I like the fact how every little aspect about the band was one big concept, based on the book Watership Down of Richard Adams. The artwork, music, lyrics and meanings... I think that's very important.




Putting on bands is a pretty full time hobby, is there any advice you have for those wishing to start something similar to what you have yourself?

Good question. There are a lot of things. I won't lie: the bands I help out aren't big bands who attract a lot of people. I don't like to use genres. It's something
very delicate. But when you choose to set up shows for bands like the ones I book, you have to realize that you can loose money. Even though you tried your very best to promote the show.

Once you begin, a lot of bands will knock on your door for a show. Be selective. Set up shows for bands you really are motivated for. Consider
everything! Which city, try to figure out how popular the band is, try to book a good local band which you like and which attracts people. It are all things who might help in getting more people and lower your costs. I believe, that if you book shows for bands that you truly support, you want them to have a decent amount of crowd.

Plan everything into the little detail. There's nothing more satisfying than helping a band out, giving them the chance to get their music out. And most of the time you'll make good friends after wards. At least I did. It's all about giving the bands and
kids a cool show and see them leave with the records of bands you booked. It makes it all worth it. But I have a big philosophy about setting up shows but lets keep it with this. We could talk for hours on this subject, haha!© Sam Dunn

Where did the name Dance! Revolt! Disorder! Emerge from? its pretty demanding, I like it!

I started in 2006 with a show for Army of Flying Robots (Uk) and Trainwreck (Ger). But I didn't had a name. I wanted something that would describe the kind of bands I would book. So: Dance! for the more
'indie(pop)'-ish bands, Revolt! for the more 'fast/crusty' bands and Disorder! for the 'true screamo' bands. A good friend of mine came of with the "Disorder!" part since we already had Oh! Oh! Chaos! and Chaos Is Ours. So I didn't want to use the word Chaos. And so it happened, the name became Dance! Revolt! Disorder!

Back then it felt like you needed a name. Nowadays it's just a name for me though I still support it, but it has become less
important. But kids use it as a point of orientation. If they see the name on the poster, they now what to expect.


Do you have a favourite show that you put on?


Yes, a couple. For example: Daitro, Aussitot Mort & Heaven In Her Arms which was an amazing show with a lot of people. Also Pompeii who played one of the best shows I had seen in 2009. They were really intense.

© Sam Dunn


You worked with amazing illustrator, Ward Zwart, any plans to do more posters with him in the future?


Probably I will. I don't know him that well. I've met him a couple of times in the past. He's a really nice guy as far as I know him. And I always loved his work, so pretty sure, in the future I'll contact him again for doing posters for the more 'epic/darker' shows.

© Sam Dunn

Would you like things to carry on as they are or are there any plans to extend Dance! Revolt! Disorder! in the future?

I had plans, or lets say ambitions in taking it to a higher level. At this very moment I'm booking my first tour for The Gentle Act Incident (Swe) and maybe in the future I'll do more tour bookings aside from the shows. Don't know for sure. For now I keep it intimate and DIY and try to make the genre I'm in more accessible. We'll see what the future brings!

| MYSPACE | FALL OF EFRAFA | WARD ZWART | ME! |

No comments:

Post a Comment